Scoliosis is a condition that causes curves in your spine. While some curves in the spine are normal, scoliosis causes large curves from side to side. These severe curves can cause pain and breathing issues.
What are the Symptoms of Scoliosis?
Scoliosis typically causes the following symptoms when the curve becomes moderate to severe:
- One shoulder might be higher than the other.
- The head may night be centered over the body.
- The waistline is flat on one side
- The ribs are higher on one side than the other.
- Pressure on the spinal discs, nerves, muscles, ligaments or facet joints.
Treating Scoliosis in High Point and Greensboro, NC
Treatment for scoliosis is based on age, degree of the curve and type of scoliosis the person has. The most common scoliosis treatments include:
- Observation – If the curve isn’t severe (less than 25 degrees), the doctor will recommend observation. Check ups will take place every four to six months to make sure the curve is not getting worse.
- Bracing – Doctors might suggest bracing when the curve is more than 25 degrees, the curve is getting worse during the observation period and the person has more than two years of growing left.
- Surgery – Doctors use surgery to correct curves that are more than 45 degrees. The surgery involves fusing together two or more bones in the spine. If necessary, the surgeon will also add implants.
Spine and Scoliosis Specialists, NC
Spine and scoliosis specialists provides patients throughout Triad, NC with comprehensive treatment for all types of back and neck problems. Call 336-333-6306 for more information.