Lumbar Pain: When To See A Specialist

Because the lower back, or lumbar part, of the spine supports the weight of the upper body and provides the mobility to bend and twist, it is very susceptible to injury and pain. Four out of five people will have lower back pain at some point in their lives. If you suffer from lumbar pain, there are signs that indicate when you should see a specialist.

A Common ComplaintMan in home office suffering from low back pain sitting at the desk with notebook, papers and other objects

Low back pain is one of the most common reasons people visit health care providers. Back pain can be mild and just an annoying part of your everyday life, or it can be severe and debilitating.

There are three general types of lower back pain:

  • Acute back pain comes on suddenly and slowly goes away.
  • Subacute pain lasts six weeks to three months and is usually caused by muscle strain. This may indicate a visit to Spine & Scoliosis Specialists if the pain is severe enough to limit your day to day activities.
  • Chronic back pain lasts over three months. It typically does not respond to at-home treatments. This is a time to see a back specialist like Spine & Scoliosis Specialists.

Additional Signs You Should See A Specialist For Lumbar Pain


Age dictates that your lower back pain may be from osteoporosis, a fracture, or spinal stenosis. Other possible causes are an infection or a tumor. Don’t wait to seek medical care.

Swelling And Redness

Any lower back pain accompanied by redness and swelling should be evaluated by a specialist. You have either sustained an injury, you could have a herniated disc, an infection, or a tumor. Call Spine & Scoliosis Specialists for an evaluation.

A Fever

If you have lower back pain and a fever at the same time, it could be an infection of the spine, pelvic area, bladder, or kidney.

Bladder Or Bowel Incontinence

When these conditions accompany lower back pain, you may have a nerve inflammation and/or  a compression from a fracture, herniated disc, trauma, or stenosis. If tingling, weakness, and numbness in the legs also occurs, seek the care of a specialist like Spine & Scoliosis Specialists before the symptoms become worse.

Trauma And Injury

If you fall or are in a car accident which results in severe lower back pain, contact Spine & Scoliosis Specialists immediately. If left untreated you can do more damage to your spine.

Contact Spine & Scoliosis Specialists at 336.333.6306 for lumbar back pain diagnosis and treatment options.